Friday, June 16, 2006

Travel Day From Hell

It took me 12 hours door-to-door to get from Munich to Northampton. Birmingham airport was closed for an emergency landing.

I got to the airport without a problem thanks to a speedy taxi. We boarded the runway bus that was to take us to the plane. Then, they asked us to get off the bus. They told us there was a delay because the airport had closed. Without any more information.

Fortunately, I got on a standby flight to London. I got the last seat when someone gambled that Birmingham would reopen. He did not want to have to spend the money to get from Heathrow to his car in Birmingham. Sadly, for him, he made the wrong choice.

I got on the flight quickly. I had bought some internet time. It ran out just as I was getting my ticket so I could not let anyone know what was going on. Therefore, when I arrived, there was no transport for me.

We quickly got that sorted and ~ an hour after I landed I was on my way. The taxi driver and I thought it would be best to take an alternate highway because of the construction on the M1 as they widen the road.

That was a mistake. There was a lorry (delivery truck) fire that backed things up for 4 exits. It ended up taking 2 hours to get back to the hotel. Just in time for the 2nd half of the England v. Trinidad & Tobago match. That was disappointing as I had hoped to be in a proper English pub to watch the game.

But, at least watching it in the hotel it was less smoky.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brendan,
and I'll bet you call this work!
Jim

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home