The Enchanted Island

Last week I was in Puerto Rico. It's a long way there. 3000 miles each freakin' way. And, there are no direct flights anywhere.
Normally, I don't get to see much of the places that I visit for work. This time was different. We got lost between San Juan and Humacao on the first morning. What should have been 45 minutes ended up taking 2.5 hours. It was crazy. We missed one turn in San Juan and were screwed. We could not go back the way we came because traffic was so bad. So, we thought we'd take a local road to the highway. That ended up in a detour that took us up and over the mountains. It felt like we ended up in a cloud forest. To top it off, I started feeling carsick because of the hairpin turns and trying to read the map at the same time.
When we finally got to where we thought the journey would get on the right track, we ran into a road closure. A truck carrying another truck on its bed hit a powerline and dragged it and the pole into the road. That brought us to a complete stop. For a split second, cars were sneaking through UNDER the downed lines. We decided against that. So, we started to back out. Then, we backed our rental car into the truck behind us. Fortunately, we got away with just a scratch.
The place we stay in Puerto Rico is really nice. Palmas del Mar. It's 5 minutes from the beach and golf courses. And, there are great restaurants. I got in the water the first night there for just a bit. 2 weeks ago I was surfing in the Pacific. This week in the Caribbean. I hope that the next time I am there I can get to spend some late afternoons in the ocean.
That's it for now. I have to go read more about the latest exposure of Republican moral highground hypocrisy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home